I found a way to fix my digital board. hlr5067w

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

I found a way to fix my digital board. hlr5067w

Postby Jason1976 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:43 pm

when you take the cover off the digital board you see a chip close to the dvi output on the board. with my tv I put a ball of foil on there making sure it doesn't short out against anything eles. it has to be big enough so when you push the case back on it cashes down iand t sqeezes the chip down. ( kind of like the xbox 360 x clamp repair) after doing this my tv powers on. this maybe the reason why some people get the green screen if this chip has broken solder joints under it. pushing it down will make it get contact again and may fix your issue. I know before i did this my tv would just flash lamp and the lamp in the back was lighting up but nothing on my screen would come on. please do this at your own risk. if more of you have luck doing this maybe we can come up with some kind of heat sink that can be put onto the chip that will sqeeze when the cover is put back on. I would be willing to pay 15 to 20 dollars for a heatsink that would fix the digital board. this issue with the digital board may make the tv turn off at random or restart on it's own, it also could give you a green plaid looking screen.

these are photos from my hl-r5067wax/xaa from what I am reading the hl-r5667wax/xaa and the hl-r6167wax/xaa and the hl-r4667wax/xaa all use the same board, and have the same issues.

ps the chip inside says dnie and looks like a computer video card chip or motherboard chipset.

A friend of mine wrote this part (thanks lcaillo) "Notice that there are no pins around this chip like most typically have. The pins are underneath and press against the lands on the board. The lands are tinned, allong with the pins on the chip, and when the chip is applied the whole board is heated to complete the solder connection. This kind of chip is called a BGA, or Ball Grid Array. They are used to get shorter connections to the components in the IC and to increase the area possible for connections into chips. The downside is the problem of making good connections, which apparently happens rather often."

another msg from ( lcaillo) "I really do not suggest anything conductive like the foil. If it touches the board you could have real problems."

here are photos of what I did to mine.

I am guessing that chip gets to warm and the solder melts away from one of the connections or just brakes from it heating up and expanding and when it cools then it shrinking.

before doing this the tv would not fully turn on. the tv would sit and the lamp light on the front of the unit would just flash.

this is the idea I came up with it would press on the chip like the xbox 360 x clamp. you would need 4 screws but I only showed one on the photo shop. I woudln't even know were to go to have someone make something like this. of course the screw holes would have to match up with the vent holes in the top cover. you guys are welcome to make it better and if someone can make them. YOU BETTER SEND ME ONE! and if you sell them I should make so many %. i am sure this would cost a lot less then replacing the board. the lowest price i found was 235 with a 50 dollar core charge. I found others that wanted 269 dollars for this board.
Last edited by Jason1976 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: I found a way to fix my digital board. hlr5067w

Postby Jason1976 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:54 pm

after the tv worked I opened it back up and took the photos. I added the heat sink to make sure the foil didn't short out the digital board.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”