Samsung sound but no picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
cooper1293
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung sound but no picture

Postby cooper1293 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi I have a Samsung SP50L7HX, that has started to just give a black screen after watching and the sound continuous,no warning lights on the front panel.

when I start the set up everything is fine there is the click picture comes on nice a bright, then after so long all diff times it goes blank/black the colour wheel is turning the lamp is on,
so from reading this forum I guess the lamp and the ballast board, colour wheel, temp sensor (as the set remains powered on)are all ok,this leaves the dmd and light tunnel,

has anyone had any similar problems or has anyone any suggestions where to start?

P.S. turning the set off and back on solves the problem and rear of the set is dust free.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung sound but no picture

Postby Angel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi cooper.

When you get the black screen, how do you know the lamp is ON?
Did you check with the back cover off or are you able to see any light on the screen?

If is the second case then try to display the menu. Does it show?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

cooper1293
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cooper1293 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:00 pm

First thanks for the quick reply Nehelp,

the lamp is easily visible from the rear of my set through the grill section all covers are on, as for the menu no you can't see it or access anything when the screen goes blank .

as for the colour wheel i had the set powered with the back cover off holding the switch, then released the switch causing the tv to shut down, then i removed the lamp quickley to see the colour wheel spinning away.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Then I think the problem is the DMD board. I don't think is the light tunnel because it is a static part, when it fails or got moved the problem doesn't disappear when turning the TV OFF and back ON.

Hope this helps.

Sanglier
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sanglier » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:18 am

I have a five year old HLP5085 that developed the exact same symptoms two weeks ago. First the black-outs were sporadic, then the images were gone permanently. There were no failure indicator lights on the front panel when this happened, although the "lamp failure" light did come on eventually, after I turned the unit on and off a few times.

After checking this and various other boards, I became convinced that I needed a new DMD board to bring the unit back to life, and ordered one through Encompass, who had it in stock.

The installation of the board seemed relatively straightforward, but after I powered up the TV - there was still no image, and the symptoms remained essentially the same: There was a faint and even glow across the screen for a few seconds, then the unit rebooted itself, with the LCD displaying a turning wheel for about 10 seconds, followed by another automatic reboot, and 10 seconds later, a third reboot, after which the unit shut itself off and displayed the lamp failure indicator.

I checked the color wheel - it seemed to spin properly. I can hear no unfamiliar sound coming from either it or the lamp ballast, and the lamp does shine when the unit is on. I also rechecked the wire connections and found nothing obviously loose.

Is my replacement DMD board also bad? How can it be? Is there anything else I should check before sending it back?

Thanks!
GT

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Sanglier
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sanglier » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, NEhelp!

The board I ordered is part# BP96-00696A (Assembly DMD Board). It's the correct board according to all that I was able to find online. It is physically identical to the original unit in my TV, except for one area to the right of the bracket plate (viewed from the back), where the new unit has a hole that goes all the way through the board and its casing (looking like another anchoring point), which is absent from the original board (and there is no corresponding hole for it on my engine base, see images below). All the connectors seem to fit properly.

The "mute-1-8-2-power" combo produces the exact same result as hitting "power" by itself. The TV goes through 3 sets of reboot then shuts itself down, with nothing more than a glow on the screen to show for it. I tried punching in the combination at different speeds. The service menu never came on. You are no doubt right that some component is not talking to the others, but where is the broken link?

Thanks!
GT

Sanglier
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sanglier » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:26 am

As a diagnostic test, I wanted to swap the original DMD board back in to see if the problem would still repeat itself. Unfortunately, the SIP connector on the cable that connects the ballast to the DMD board could not withstand my repeated handling and broke. I drove all over town looking for a replacement connector, but no one carries anything this small (5/16", 7 mm?). Chances are I will have to obtain a replacement cable before this nightmare can progress any further.

Can anyone tell me whether this cable has a proper name or part number? The service manual I have doesn't even show it. I see plenty of online sources for new and refurbished ballasts, but none of these seem to come with this cable.

Thanks!
GT

cooper1293
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cooper1293 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:19 pm

drosen

Postby drosen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Not sure I'm posting in the correct place as I'm new to this. Here goes. Symptoms as follows:

no video
yes audio
lamp is lit
menu,info etc. appears on screen

hope its simple but doubt it. all comments are welcome and thank you very much.

samsung dlp hl-s4266w

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Same problem with all the inputs?

drosen

Postby drosen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, all inputs.

Just off the phone with service provider. Rebooted cable box to resolve problem. Yea!!

Thank you once again.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”