Samsung R67-68W does not turn on

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung R67-68W does not turn on

Postby mattyaco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:24 pm

I just changed the color wheel in my Samsung R67-68W. Everything was working fine until the color wheel came apart a couple days ago.

Now that I have installed the new wheel, the t.v. tries to turn on a few times, then just turns off. While it is trying to turn on, the LAMP light flashes. When it turns off all three lights in front are flashing.

I tried this with the back cover installed so the safety switch should not be the issue. While the inside wasn't dusty at all (was just serviced last year) I did give everything a quick clean up.

I DO NOT hear any clicking noises from the ballast.

Is there a way to check the lamp? What should I try changing next?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung R67-68W does not turn on

Postby mattyaco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:41 pm

anybody ever get a bad color wheel in?

I decided that since my research was turning up nothing for me, that I would put the bad color wheel back in just to see if the lamp would come on...yep...lamp came on, got a picture on the screen.

The color wheel look identical, I dont think it is a wrong part issue, I just think the new one I got in doesn't work.

Anybody experience that before?

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:35 pm

ok, new color wheel in and still nothing.

When I turn the set on, it cycles thru 3 times, LAMP flashing the whole time, them turns off, with all three lights flashing.

This is my second color wheel, first one I thought was bad because when I put the original broken wheel in, the lamp comes on and the set has a picture (a bad picture but still a picture)

anybody have any ideas for me? please help!

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 pm

total loss right now, I took the 2nd new color wheel out and reinstalled the original broken color wheel and the t.v. fires right up, lamp comes on and I get my same bad picture.

Are there more than 1 type of L6 chassis color wheels?
Is it possible that the 2 new color wheel I bought are bad?

I need some Samsung experts to come to my rescue!

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 pm

Ok, I'll try my best.

First of all let's discard some possibilities, you said both new color wheels and the old one look identical.

Are the part numbers the same also?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I am looking at both color wheels and they seem identical, the only difference is while the housings look almost the same, te new color wheels came with an additional gasket not found on my original one.

L6/BP61-01024A#3 - That is what is stamped on the new wheel

Thanks for taking the time to help

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 pm

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:02 pm

AZ91D on one corner

1270-979 on the opposing corner

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Don't you have any label on the cables?
Try removing the gasket in one of the wheels.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:08 pm

on the broken wheel (which was installed by a shop last year):

on the ribbon cable:
oerlikon shanghai co. ltd
2008-6-6
us patents 5.868, 482&6, 024, 453

there is a bar cod on the housing:

nothing that i can see on the cable with the 3 wires

On the new wheel

ribbon cable:
P/N: OC-CW 7AC-AB051
0921-D2108

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:09 pm

I think it's weird that your old color wheel doesn't have a gasket, maybe you're removing the color wheel and the gasket still in the TV, so when you're putting the new one you have two gaskets and the color wheel is not seated properly.

This is just an idea.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm

The gasket that goes around the outer edge I made sure was in place. This new gasket came on both new color wheels and it was not on the old one. I looked to see if it was still in the tv but there is nothing there. I tried installing it with and without it.

This new gasket runs down the center of the vertical side of the housing closest to the color wheel. The old one has a grove which almost could be where this gasket could have gone and maybe wasnt installed.

I just looked again where the color wheel goes and I am 100% positive the old gasket is not in the way.

I was thinking maybe the shop last year didn't bother installed it. It is an L shaped gasket that runs down the center of the vertical side closest to the color wheel then turns 90 degrees to run under where those 2 little metal tabs are at the color wheel circular window.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm

http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail ... l=HLR6768W

this shows a picture of the gasket I am talking about. It was not on the wheel I took out but came on both new wheels I ordered. This is the first time I am doing this so I don't know if they changed this part a little and added this gasket or if the shop left it off.

And that is the color wheel I am trying to install. BP96-01103A

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Well, I just can see 3 possibilities:

1. You have a very very very bad luck and got two defective color wheels.
2. You're not installing the new color wheels correctly (and for some reason you're installing correctly the old one).
3. The diameter of the new color wheel is bigger than the diameter of the old one, so it's getting stuck with the chassis.

All of the above options are very difficult to happen, but I'm running out of options.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:01 pm

I was worried about the bad bad luck. I normally run pretty good, guess not with tv repair

Is there anyway to test the color wheels to see if A. they are spinning freely when installed and B. if the motor actually spins them?

I check the diameters of the wheel after you mentioned it, as far as I can tell, they are the same.

Find it hard to believe at this point I am not installing the wheel right. I can install the old wheel in a matter of minutes and have the tv fired up. I must have retried the new wheel(s) 10 times thinking I forgot a wire or something.

I make sure the ribbon is installed facing the right direction, the safety on the back of the tv is facing all the way up...is it possible I got 2 bad color wheels? Is that why Partstore.com seems to have an endless supply of them and samsung is backordered for weeks?

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Question, can I reinstall the unit minus the color wheel, plug the ribbon and other cable into the respective slots, power the tv up and see if the wheel spins?

Does the color wheel get grounded to the rest of the housing or will it work separately?

Can I hold the housing?

I just gotta see if this latest color wheel is working before I return another one.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:34 pm

ok, took a chance, both on breaking something and getting shocked but thankfully neither happened...

I reinstalled the unit with the color wheel plugged in but not installed in it's proper place, just had it laid gently in the back of the unit. I reattached the screws and plugs, held the color wheel after everything else was in place and plugged in the t.v.

With the new color wheel in my hand, the lamp came on and the color wheel started to spin, something that I have no been able to get it to do.

So now the million dollar questions, WTF is going on?!?!? I swear the size of the wheel look the same but is it possible they are a millimeter off? Any other ideas? It seems to be that something is physically preventing the wheel from spinning.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Well, at least now you know the new color wheel spins, it's just a matter of check what thing is obstructing the wheel.

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:56 pm

I have been working on that (kinda hoping you were going to suggest checking _______) without success

Cannot find what is preventing the wheel from spinning. I am assuming it has to be the wheel dimensions since when I reinstall the old wheel, it works, thereby ruling out a piece of gasket that might be holding it.

Since I have gotten the same part twice with the same results, am I using the right color wheel?

Are there 2 different color wheels for this t.v.?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I don't think so, are the bearings of the two color wheels the same? (golden or silver)

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm

The bearing are both silver.

I do have good news though (kinda)...Under closer examination, the base of one of the mounting screw holes (the rear one) broke off. I don't know if this recently happened or was like this from the start, although I think it happened due to the amount of times that I had this thing apart. Anyway, I had to drill a 3/32 hole further into the plastic housing, nothing important looked like it was beneath it and nothing else was working so I got out my trusty drill and began operating.

I had to find a longer screw since the original was now too short to grab anything that would hold. One of the kid's toys supplied the donor screw (sshhhhh, don't tell) and I remounted the color wheel.

Going back to when I took it apart, it was minus the gasket I spoke of earlier, so I decided to try it this time without it.

Put it back together I have a t.v. again. No noise, color looks good, everything seems to be tight.

I don't know how hard it would be to change the entire plastic housing where the screw hole broke but until this fails again, I will worry about it then

NEhelp, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 pm

Oh that's great I was about to tell you your TV is cursed :lol:

I hope this solution lasts for long ;)

mattyaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mattyaco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Oh, this set is definately cursed! I have had more problems with this since the day it was new.

Sept. 2009 is when the color wheel and ballast were changed out, before that I had to have the board and light engine changed (thankfully that was under warrantee) and since day one I knew I had to have the whole t.v. switched because the one they delivered was full of little dings across the front face.

While I am fairly mechanically inclined, electrical stuff isn't really my thing, but I they way I looked at this was if I could fix it for the cost of the wheel fine, if not, I was making the t.v. a planter. I just spent $750 last year.

Maybe now that the t.v. knows I am not afraid to take its guts out and drill holes where there were none before will cause the demons to leave!

Thanks again for keeping me company today!

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Well, you're not the only one with a cursed TV, just take a look at all the other posts... It seems like Samsung DLP TVs are some kind of daemons portal :?

You're welcome, so if you have any other issue feel free to get back to me and I'll try to help you the best I can ;)

proadalarm

Postby proadalarm » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 am

I have had the same exact problem with my samsung HL-R6178w. I heard a noise that sounded like a bad fan so I purchased a fan replacement kit as well as a color wheel. The fans when in no problem at all however when removing the color wheel, I found that the rear color wheel screw hole was cracked which made it impossible to tighten the screw after the new wheel was installed. I also had to drill a deeper hole and install a longer screw. The color wheel was now able to be tighten up, the wheel no longer is hitting the gasket and turns freely, the main lamp now comes on and the tv is working fine with only one exception. I am getting a light shaded bar about 4 inches wide on the left side of the screen when the tv is in wide screen mode. I looks as if maybe the color wheel gasket is not properly seated and in the way of the light tunnel. I will once again take it all apart and take care of the issue when I have more time. In short, the cause of the defect seems to be too much torque was applied to the color wheel mount when the tv was originally fabricated at the factory. At this point, I think I'll pass on buying any more samsung DLP tvs in the future.

Arthur DeMattia
Revere, MA.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”