HLP-4667W ghosts, silences, looses controls

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
EWgearhead
Contributor
Contributor

HLP-4667W ghosts, silences, looses controls

Postby EWgearhead » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:35 am

I have a Samsung DLP model HLP 4667W, lamp code BP96-00826A(P). It's about 3 years old.
It fires up fine, picture good and sound on, but after a variable time ~ 2-5 minutes, the picture starts to degrade, with fine 'ghosts' appearing both horizontal and vertical, and a general 'fuzzing' of the picture, but the picture still 'moves'. All of the controls cease to operate; the remote has no effect including channel changing, shutdown, source selection, etc., and the buttons on the main body also unresponsive. Sound is lost. The picture gradually but progressively gets worse, transitioning into horizontal streaks, then the screen goes black. At least one fan remains operating, and the lamp remains lit (from light emanating through the light filter). Sometimes, the units shuts itself down, sometimes it remains nominally 'on,' and requires unplugging to reset. (I have heeded your cautions about 'uncommanded shut-down,' and only shut off the power intermittently, to allow the fans to come back on and complete proper cool-down. Sometimes, lights on the front switch end in all three flashing. While I can hear the color wheel spinning down, it is pretty quiet and seems good. I have tried to enter the Service Mode, and done a 'User reset,' but I don't know if that is a 'factory reset.' Since the TV is only responding to commands for a couple of minutes, it really limits how much I can play with the menus, but I did reset to the point, for instance, that it forgot all of our channel presets. I did suspect overheating, because it can generally reset and go again (though the picture OK intervals have been shortening), so I took off the light filter to look in the back and locate fans for inspection. I found the one more exposed (by the computing side), and it works fine, but I haven't found or verified the one associated with the lamp. There is some air movement through the light filter with the unit on, but not very strong at all.
I guess, at this point, I am wondering if there are any other diagnostics I would be wise to run, or if I should just look to replace either the DMD board or the Digital Board? If the digital board is suggested, I will probably try the 'add pressure' fix on the DNIE chip as described elsewhere.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: HLP-4667W ghosts, silences, looses controls

Postby Jason1976 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:25 pm

sounds like the digital board. are you sure it's an hlp-4667w or is it a HL-R4667W.

EWgearhead
Contributor
Contributor

Postby EWgearhead » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:07 pm

I went back to the invoice and the manual, and they agree that the model number is HL-P4667W, with 'P' as in 'Papa', not 'R' as in 'Romeo.' Any idea what's the dif'??

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 pm

I am not sure. but i know the hl-r4667w is know to have issues with teh digital board. not sure about the hl-p4667w. I looked up parts on http://www.samsungparts.com and it looks like this uses a lot of the same parts as the hlr4667w but it doesn't list the digital board. another thing that can make the video look freaky is the color wheel. but normaly that doesn't keep the remote from working. I did another search and found it to be this one. http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail ... h%5Fmodel=

I also found this info

Samsung BP94-02065A, or Bp94-02140A Assy Pcb Misc-Digita
these are alternatives to Samsung part BP94-02149A

you may want to do an ebay search for all 3 part numbers.

EWgearhead
Contributor
Contributor

Postby EWgearhead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks; I will proceed with the attempt to fix the board by drepressing the chip, then move on to looking for a new board (or getting the old board re-soldered - especially if the chip-pressure has significant effect).

Return to “Samsung Discussion”