POP/SNAP - Ballast

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
unclet69
Contributor
Contributor

POP/SNAP - Ballast

Postby unclet69 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Howdy...Let me start by saying I read every post I could find and know there are the std 3 problems. Replaced my lamp already...but before dumping cash inot a ballast and color wheel I thought maybe someone might be able to point me in the right direction since I think I may have a good clue...I just don't know what the clue means. So here it is....

I first heard a loud pop or snap and picture went out and I got the 3 flashers....so I assumed lamp and I got my repalcement lamp today and put it in (second to date). The TV clicks once and powers up, get sound, but no picture...then turns off after 30 seconds or so. No whining/grinding as folks say the color wheel does and no repeat clicking from a potentially bad ballast. I saw the temp thermostat fix too, but just wondering if the loud snap/pop we heard when this all started is a big clue before I sink more cash than I need to with this thing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
unclet

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: POP/SNAP - Ballast

Postby Crowell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Have you reset the lamp timer? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050&start=0&hilit=Loading+Factory
Have you cleand the inside of the TV in the las 6 months? Have you closed the lamp door before turning the TV on?
Knowledge is the one true power

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:01 pm

unclet69,
I'm going to make this very easy for you! The pop/snap you heard was your color wheel falling off balance and shattering! The CW spins at around 5000 RPM (depending on your model)... That's right! 5000 Revolutions Per Minute.... When the color wheel falls off balance, many times it will get caught on the housing and shatter to peices. If you open the back of your TV to confirm, you should see little pieces of your color wheel floating around.

I recommend purchasing a new color wheel and the cheapest place I know is Discount-Merchant.com... Make sure you clean up the mess (a vacuum with attachment is good for this job)..

A great guide on replacing your color wheel can be found here:
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-01579a.php

I would send you a link to which color wheel is compatible with your TV however, you did not post your model number!

When making a post, the model number is very important... some models are more prone to certain problems than others and it makes diagnosis easier! So guys, post your model numbers!

unclet69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby unclet69 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks guys. Sorry about leaing off the model number. It is a HL-P4663W.

I forgot about the lamp reset, so thanks for that reminder. But I could not get the screen to come up with either mute or menu first. After letting the puppy sit overnight, I plugged it back in and it tries to fire-up again and this time the multiple clicks is audible.
But to be take ovadoggvo rec's, I pulled the back off and took out the ballast and checked for the color wheel parts. Cause the pop was very loud and this seemed like a good hint. Thankfully I did not fined it shattered....I think anyway. Now I did not take the color wheel all the way out, but no visible material in sight. So I went ahead and ordered the ballast to start and figure I can return if that is not it. Then take out color wheel. Either way, I am headed out to watch the game tomorrow!!

Thanks for the tips which are all great. I'll re-post once I get the ballast in....I am hoping not to have to do the wheel too.....I am thinking of stopping at Sears to check out some LCDs.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Uncle69,
Let us know how it goes.. Also check the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19

The boot sequence section I wrote may help you diagnose further and get us back more valuable information.

unclet69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby unclet69 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:26 am

Time to eat crow...... ovadoggvo was right on.....I got my ballast, put it in and nothing. So I took ovadoggvo advice and pulled the color wheel assembly all the way out. At first, I saw no shattered glass, but as I continued dis-assembling this puppy, I found the color wheel and it was indeed in a zillion pieces. Ordered new color wheel tonight....so hopefully this will do the trick. Now I have an extra lamp...going to try and return the ballast or maybe I will keep just in case, although that is an expensive just in case.

Big thanks to everyone who is so helpful on this site and big thanks to ovadoggvo!!!

Although, right now I am wishing I used this as an excuse to get a new, bigger TV!

Unclet
HL-P4663W

Return to “Samsung Discussion”