HLP5063w, will a failed color wheel stop the lamp?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
AdmiralRed

HLP5063w, will a failed color wheel stop the lamp?

Postby AdmiralRed » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:19 pm

My color wheel had been making noise for a while, I think. I figured when it gave out I would replace it. Never had color issues, just noise. Yesterday morning the TV would not turn on. I can not hear the color wheel starting or trying to start. Will a failed color wheel prevent the lamp from firing up?

I replaced my lamp once about a year ago and it was not shattered like my old one when it failed. Nor discolored.

AdmiralRed

Re: HLP5063w, will a failed color wheel stop the lamp?

Postby AdmiralRed » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Here is a pm I sent to a member on this forum which I hope to get an answer from.

"Based on your boot sequence flow chart, I think that I have found the root of my problem...but I'd like to run it past you if that is alright. HLP6053W it starts itself, flashes lamp but never starts.

First off, the TV had color wheel issues. The noise was horrendous. Just pulled the light engine and spun the color wheel by hand, yes it was making noise.

Based on your flow chart, the ballast is in standby unless it receives the signal from the DMD that the color wheel is at 5400. Should I hear a click out of the ballast when it goes into standby? Or would that be after the temp and color wheel report ok and it fires the lamp? I do not hear the color wheel starting at all, so I figure that its failure is the cause. Have you known one just fail to rotate after the bearing went south?

Thanks in advance. I would like to avoid spending on parts I don't need. The bulb is relatively new, within the last year and a quality bulb.

James V"

Does it seem like I have nailed down the problem? If so, I will have a color wheel ordered promptly

Thanks!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”