Samsung HL-R5067W Greenish Vertical Lines

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Tman
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HL-R5067W Greenish Vertical Lines

Postby Tman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Looking for a possible diagnosis for our 50" Samsung DLP started showing the greenish/purplish vertical bars as seen in the attached pic. Shut the set off and then have tried to turn back on the past week and the TV would not project any picture at all.

Here is what happens:
Turn set on. Green Lamp Light flashes, then stops flashing after a minute or so. The lamp in the back of the TV is on. TV eventually clicks and turns off after about 2 minutes. Red Standby/Temp light coms on. No picture comes on the screen during this time. No loud screeching of a color wheel. But the lamp in back comes on and stays on until the TV powers itself off.

If the problem is only the lamp, would the lamp still come on in the back?

Now after reading some posts and excellent recommendations from "ovadoggvo" I tried a few things. I did the "Mute 1 8 2" and that screen showed up. I then shut the TV down, placed a window fan behind the TV and then turned back on. I at least now get the picture with the green/purple lines again. Was this due to the fan circulating air that I placed behind the TV?

I have removed the lamp housing and reinserted, no change.

Looks like I will be ordering something from Discount Merchant, just not sure what. Ideas? Suggestions? ovadoggvo?
Attachments
Samsung TV.jpg
Samsung TV.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 13079 times

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung HL-R5067W Greenish Vertical Lines

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:05 am

Tman,
To me it seems like your DMD board is at fault... I would try poping up the menu when those green lines are on the screen.. Does the menu system get distorted as well? If your answer is yes, then it's 90% chance that you DMD board is the board that needs to be replaced. If you find a complete light engine on D-M, I would go for it... I can't give you a part number because you never told us what model your TV is, but i'm sure you can figure all that out yourself.

The reason I tell you to buy the light engine from D-M is because the other components that come with it other than the DMD board can be very useful in the future.

Let us know how it goes.

Tman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:52 am

ovadoggvo,

Thanks for taking time to respond! The model number is : HL-R5067W.

Well, I just hit the menu button and the menu pops up fine. The menu screen is to the forefront of all the multi colored lines and is clean and crisp, not distored. We have the Dish Network and when I pull that menu up (I guess it is actually the "Guide") that menu is behind all the distortion. You can see still see the tv show behind all the lines and distrortion.

So, you still think the DMD board?

Do I understand from your message that the DMD board is part of the light engine? I read in another post about a heat sensor, I suspect one could just order one of those too since they are just 20 bucks. I am thinking if the DMD board is going bad, maybe it is due to a poor heat sensor. Does this make sense?

Tman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:59 am

ovadoggvo ,

One more thing that maybe is important. I also just tried the PIP and the small PIP is clear, no distortion nice and clear. Seems odd...

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:58 am

Tman,
This is precisely why i asked you to pull up the menu. If the menu system is fine, the problem is with your DNIe chip located on your DIGITAL BOARD. I would start by buying a Digital Board, now this part is not part of the light engine! Your picture in picture working also points to the Digital Board. The link below is what you need:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm

Samsung will sell you that part for $400.. luckily you have D-M for a fraction of the price!

Tman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tman » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Sounds good. Thanks! Seems I read somewhere that if you replace the digital board you also need to replace the analog board, and the same if the analog board needs to be replaced then the digital board needs replacing also. I have read so much information about this set and its parts. I will look back through some of these discussions again.

Anyway, I will get a digital board. DM shows "no quantity" right now but I will give them a call. Once I get this completed I will report back with results so that others may gain some value.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 am

Tman,
The Digital Board and Analog board do not need to be replaced simultaneously. It is very rare that they fail together (although it does happen). The only thing you need to do is enter the service menu and reset to the factory defaults. This will sync up your complimentary boards. Make sure you order the right part. If your are ordering from D-M, check the high resolution images to make sure you are getting the same part you take out!

Tman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tman » Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Well ovadoggvo,

I said I would post back again with my results. The only thing I have to report is that I took by digital board out using a service manual I downloaded from servicemanuals.net, (it was helpful and worth the 15 bucks or so), but I have been waiting for this digital board to become available. So my TV has just been collecting dust for the past couple months. DM & Samsungparts.com have no idea when these will be available. Samsungparts.com indicate this part is on nation wide backorder. I have searched the web for the part but I guess you have just sold these out by your diagnosis!

Anyway, I am now thinking of just getting a new set. Samsung ought to be sending these digital boards out to their customers for nothing. What a mess they must have with handling inquiries and complaints. To not be able to get this part for this long is just not acceptable. When I start looking for a new set it will not be a Samsung. If anyone has had any success dealing with Samsung on this, it would be interesting to hear how they have handled this for you.

If, or when, I get this digital board I will still post back to let you and others know if this is the fix for my set.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”