Samsung HLN567W colorbanding problem

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jeffyb
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLN567W colorbanding problem

Postby jeffyb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:00 am

After observing my new Samsung HLN567W for a few hours, I noticed a colorbanding problem. It's like the way the output of a graphics card looks when set to 16 bit color. This artifact is independent of source and connection type, I get it OTA/satellite box, component/DVI connection. I don't notice it all the time, and the effect isn't dramatic. It appears mostly in flesh tones under oblique lighting conditions. There is no trace of color-banding on my PC monitor (LCD) even though the video source is the same, so I know it's caused by the TV. Normally I would assume that since it's 100% repeatable, it's a limitation of the technology and every DLP set would have the same problem. But I've never heard of anyone else complaining about this, so perhaps it's just my particular set. Can any DLP owners attest to their sets having/not having
this artifact? Other comments?

Jeff B

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung HLN567W colorbanding problem

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:52 am

jeffyb,
It sound to me like your color wheel has a bad bearing. The problem may be intermittent, but it will start to repeat more and more often. I would recommend replacing the color wheel as it is a common problem on your set. Your part number is BP96-00250A.. I would check Discount-Merchant or PartStore for the part... If D-M has it, you are looking at $60 ... PartStore, you are looking at $95.

Instructions to replace it yourself can be found here:
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-01579a.php

Should not take much time to do... It's a fairly simple process.

Let us know how it goes!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”