HLS4676S Lamp/Ballast issues

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
noonej21
Contributor
Contributor

HLS4676S Lamp/Ballast issues

Postby noonej21 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Just stumbled across this site and hopefully will be able to get some insight into what issues I am having. Little back story here, bought the TV in Jan 2007 and replaced lamp for the first time about a year and a half later. Not sure of the hours on the TV as I do not know how to check. The replacement bulb lasted about 6 months and then went, just so happened to be a week after TV warranty from CC expired and the week the CC started going out of business. I ended up buying another bulb and now after 3 months of use that is out! I have a one year warranty for the bulb so I will be getting a new one shortly but I am now curious if there could be an issue with the Ballast. When I try and turn the TV on there is no noise or anything. Is there a way to make a determination if the ballast is gone? I would prefer not taking the TV in for repair if I do not have to. Thanks for the help

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: HLS4676S Lamp/Ballast issues

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:55 pm

noonej21,
The ballast may be bad or failing or it may be that you bought a GENERIC lamp. Does the lamp say Philips on it? Did you buy it from an authorized Philips distributor. I would be very careful where you buy the lamp because some of these lamp dealers see it as a disposable part and nobody is going to go after them if the generic replacement has failed after 6 months.

The fact that you tell me the warranty on the lamp is 1 year kinda scares me because I know companies like AdvancedLamps and RiverValleyElectronics are selling generic, OSRAM, or Refurbished Philips (using chinese burners) lamps with 1 year warranty then when you call them for a claim, they are no longer in business.

If you are going to order a new lamp, order it from either Discount-Merchant.com or PartStore... D-M is cheaper... If you order from PartStore, D-M is the company that ships it to you anyways... So PartStore probably has a Drop-Ship account with D-M for their lamps.

To test the ballast, look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6&p=275&hilit=ballast+force+on#p275

Let us know what happens.

noonej21
Contributor
Contributor

Postby noonej21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Yes I suppose the most recent bulb purchase could termed a generic bulb and that may have contributed to my issues, however the first replacement was direct through circuit city so I would assume that was not of "crap quality" (although I would not be stunned to find out it was). My brother has a 50" version of the TV that he bought within 6 months of when I got mine. I am planning to swap the ballasts out(provided that they are both the same part number) to see if I can isolate the problem. If my ballast is fine and the bulb is blown I will get my replacement bulb that was covered under warranty for a backup then I will go out an buy a higher quality bulb. Thanks for the help

noonej21
Contributor
Contributor

Postby noonej21 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 am

Appears to be the bulb! Put the factory Samsung lamp from my brothers 50" into my 46" and worked like a charm. Noticed the bulb that I bought is Osram. I will cash in my free replacement bulb due to the warranty(already contacted vendor and got RMA) and then I will buy from one of the vendors you mentioned below. Thanks for the help.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:09 pm

noonej21,
Why am I not suprised?

This is the EXACT reason I ALWAYS recommend Discount-Merchant for any lamps related to ANY brand TV or Projector... People go out and try to save a few bux by buying out on ebay or some guy with a nice website shipping from his house! BE CAREFUL... As noonej21 just experienced, the bulb is the heart of your TV and you don't go cheap on it. Well with D-M, it's cheap pricewise... but the lamps are genuine OEM Philips bulbs direct from the factory. I can list you a few other websites that claim Philips but they actually sell refurbished Philips lamps or FAKE Philips products. This is why I would be very very careful. I found a website called LampResearch can be found here:

http://www.lampresearch.com/

I recommend doing your research before you decide to save $20. I know the economic downturn causes a lot of people to go pricehunting for the cheapest deal possible, but the end result is not nice. I have had people change DMD boards, Color Wheels, Ballast... All because they had bought a new "GENERIC/OSRAM" brand lamp in the last 3 months and they would never think that the lamp that is supposed to last 2-3 years is faulty/intermittent. Also, when ANY servicer touches your TV make sure they put a genuine Philips bulb in there. Servicers try to make a few extra bux by putting a generic or osram product into your TV (trust me, i would know) but the intermittent issues may even cause more service calls and replacement of other parts such as ballast, power supply, and DMD board. Intermittent lamps are just as bad as unpluggin and replugging in your TV. The inconsistency of the voltage they draw causes other parts of the TV to fail.

Take my strong word of advice and buy from a reliable source and get Philips... even if your TV (such as RCA) originally came with OSRAM or MATSUSHITA. Philips is the best and I'm willing to bet my 15 years of experience as a TV service tech on it.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”