HL-P4663W and getting a bit frusttrated w/it!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
tazmann007
Contributor
Contributor

HL-P4663W and getting a bit frusttrated w/it!

Postby tazmann007 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:42 pm

I found my way here through a couple of search results a few days ago, and pretty much decided, based on what I was reading that I had a bad color wheel - Horrible grinding/whirring sound and the fans are operating, but everything was pretty dirty in there when I opened it up. So I ordered one the other day from the PartStore.com and it arrived yesterday.

Now, I am not a "tech" but having spent 24yrs in the USN/USNR and being around ET's and other techie types for that long I am not easily intimidated by the electronics and components, so I took it apart last night and it went well and had a beer while I sat at the table doing it - Was excited to fire back up what has been a really good TV thus far. I am starting to miss my Xbox 360 too, while I am watching the old 15" color tube TV!

I am getting it to cycle 3x's w/ multiple green lights in the back side and the "blinking lamp lights" in front - Green "lamp, Timer" and the "standby" is red and it powers back down and all remain blinking. The bulb comes on dimmly and brightens within seconds of being powered up, but it has never been replaced 3/4yrs old now I am guessing. I came back here this am and read through a majority of the issues and comments and I went back and looked at the DMD board, actually pulled it out blew of the dust and re-installed - Same deal! When this board powers up I am not getting a small arching coming from the rear of the board, seems odd but it is powering the lamp.

At this point, I am inclined to re-install the old color wheel just to see if it does spin and maybe return the new one for a DMD board - I am just at a loss now.

tazmann007
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HL-P4663W and getting a bit frusttrated w/it!

Postby tazmann007 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi folks,

I am hoping someone can chime in here, before or after the holiday - Just not ready to give up on the DLP just yet, I think its still got some time left.

Any help?

Taz

bluestreak
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluestreak » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:16 am

couple of ?

how was the pic with the old color wheel in?

definitely try the old one and see what happens.

keep us informed.

jeff

tazmann007
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tazmann007 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks for chimming in Jeff -

The color/picture was good, nothing notable prior to my cleaning - But if it was diminishing over time, we did not notice!

The issues prior to this where -

Once in a while we would get B&W display - We surmissed that it was the order of things being turn on, as if we turned on the TV prior to the "video input" it was more likely than not a B&W display. If you turned the "input" on prior to the TV it never did display B&W. But as I read here and a couple other places as well this appears to be a lead in to the color wheel failing.

Shortly after that, couple months i'm guessing, every so often when powered on it would make a god awful noise - No other way top explain it short of a Grr/Whirring sound, kind lof ike a bad set of brakes < the high pitch squeal! LOL! Loud enough that it would over power the Bose Lifestyle at a reasonable volume and irratating to say the least!

Anyway, I choose to open the damned thing and start cleaning it, and it was certainly dirty inside - Since then it has not come on completely. The new color wheel is in, I have one or two good green lights in standby in the rear A/V panel after plug in and I believe the light tunnel, the bulb does fire up, I can see the little can on the back of the DMD board firing a blue arch just prior to the light, the TV will cycle 3x's and shuts down w/ the what I am now calling the three Samsung death lights on the front panel.

Prior to replacing the orginal color wheel, I did remove it, cleaning it and put a little silicone spay into the bearing area and reinstalled, but same end result - But I did not know at that time how to check to see if it was moving, taking out the lamp and cycle TV and shine the flashlight in there was all assumed to easy I guess. So, I need to do that just to see if the color wheel goes back? The whole process if realatively easy, but delicate work with that color wheel in hand for sure!

I really want to solve this if at all possible, forking up 1K+ at the moment is just not an option, lean times for my b&b business and if I can solve it, get 6 mos or a year or two out it that would be great and short money.

Any suggestions for a next step(s) would be graciously accepted!

Tazman

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm

My book says the 3 blinking lights is a lamp. but it's hard to tell what it could be.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”