HLN507WX won't turn on

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
okcbevo

HLN507WX won't turn on

Postby okcbevo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:00 am

Hey guys, it's great to see there's still a community out there for those of us who haven't thrown our DLP's out the window :roll: .

Here's some of my set's history: I got one of the first generations, color wheel went bad about 4 years ago, replaced, worked fine. Then it unexpectedly turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I was able to fix this by pulling and then putting back the lamp. This worked for a few weeks. Most recently, however, I heard firecracker sounds coming from the set, and then it hasn't turned on since. I replaced the lamp, but to no avail.

Current symptoms (w/ new lamp): after pressing the power button, the initial "doing" sound is heard, and the lamp light flashes green for about 1 second, then clicks off. Now whispering of fans or whirling of the color wheel happens. Just 'doing', blink, off. So obviously most of the parts aren't receiving power. I guess it could be the ballast, and it looks like I can buy the part BP47-00017A for about $65 from Sears. Is there a way I can tell if it's something else, like power or light board? Thanks for any advice!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: HLN507WX won't turn on

Postby ChubbsTech » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 am

Hello ZundapMan.
The DLP tv has seven main components, here is a quick round run down.
1.- Lamp.
2.- Ballast.
3.- Color wheel.
4.- Light engine.
5.- DMD board.
6.- Video board (digital & analog).
7.- Power Supply board.
Also here is one of my early links so you can find out more on how some of them work here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1249&p=4172#p4172

Ok so the first thing we can discard is the power supply board. Basically because your TV send signs of life (flashing green light, fans working, etc.)
Now, it is very common that when a lamp “explodes” (the correct word is imploded) it creates an electric arc due to the lack of mercury gas inside of the lamp. So in many cases it pulls an excessive wattage from the ballast causing it to damage it also.

You might want to look in the direction of the ballast before you buy another lamp.
Best of luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

okcbevo

Postby okcbevo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Sorry I meant to say there are NO fans or color wheel sounds. That's my main concern. If the ballast is out would this prevent everything else from not working?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Hello again okcbevo.
Sorry for the late response, but I completely forgot about this post, so here it goes. First of all, yes, if the ballast is out, then the lamp couldn’t turn on. And since there is a sensor that detects that the lamp is of, then the DMD board would prevent the tv from turning on, for security reasons. How ever that firecracker sound is more commonly hear when the color wheel is shattered. My recommendation is before you buy anything inspect the color wheel physically. Remove all the dust from the inside of the tv. Make sure the lamp door is completely closed when trying to turn the tv on. Count how many clicks (if any) dose the tv make when trying to turn on.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”