New here and need help with HLR5667

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
chall24
Contributor
Contributor

New here and need help with HLR5667

Postby chall24 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 am

Hey guys, I've scoured over the boards trying to find an issue close to mine before I post a new thread but I didn't find anything that helped. Here's my problem, I just got a 56" HLR5667 for basically nothing (craigslist trade). Anyway, got it home and plugged it in to the HDMI from my DISH and the AV3 on the side with a digital convertor box and antennae to make sure it worked. Got audio and it stayed powered up but the picture was very pixelated and the colora are all a bluish-green. Nothing I did on the menu changed the colors. I could see the menu clearly. So, after reading a lot of the advice on here I decided to check the color wheel for damage and clean it out. It's not terribly filthy inside but still dusty. The bulb has a cloudy section on the outer glass, about a quarter of the way down and all the way across. The projector lens (I'm guessing that's what it is) that is aimed at the screen had fingerprints on it and was dirty. I pulled the color wheel and as I tried very carefully to see if it would spin a chunk fell off of it. It was in tact until I touched it. Now, after that I decided to set it all down and back away real slowly before I did any more damage.

I don't want to spend as much as it would cost to just go buy a working DLP but I'd like to get this one working. I know I've got to get the color wheel now but I'm not sure on the lamp and I don't know if either of those will fix my problem. Some of the threads point to the digital board as the culprit behind color problems. I'm at the end of my expertise here (can of compressed air and a screwdriver), HELP!
Clint

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: New here and need help with HLR5667

Postby Crowell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Yup, Color wheel and / or Digital board, we can rule out the DMD since you can see the menu perfectly. Check the digital board for any swollen capacitors at the top. You’re probably looking at around $130 (parts only).
Knowledge is the one true power

chall24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chall24 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Awesome, thanks! One quick question, do you know where the digital board is located on this TV? I don't want to go pulling things out before I know exactly what I am looking for.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Here is a useful video, go to minute 1:01 http://www.youtube.com/user/FixYourDLPc ... jr_9A5Xd2Q good luck.

chall24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chall24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 am

Well, I got a replacement color wheel and digital board from a local shop. I replaced the wheel, board and threw in a new lamp. Now the TV won't show any picture. The lamp comes on, the green "lamp" signal on fron blinks several times and then it suts itself off. What did I do? I can hear the color wheel spinning after it shuts down, should I be able to hear that? Kind of a slow grinding.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:08 pm

chall24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chall24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:10 pm

I couldn't get anything on the screen and I don't have the remote anyway. I ended up pulling the digital and analog boards both out and doing the "hack" fix on my old board. I put a large rubber washer (about an inch thick and size of a nickel) on top of the DNie chip, then put a plastic bottle cap over that and screwed a machine screw through the metal case around the digital board to apply pressure. ut it all back together and got the "signal error" blue screen. I then hooked up my Wii to the regular video jacks and got the green plaid for about 20 seconds and then the Wii screen came on. I plugged in the Dish receiver and watched SportsCenter for about an hour. Kids turned it on this morning and it worked fine. It may be me but it does seem to be off, color-wise, a bit but nothing like it was originally. I haven't figured out how to fix the screen shift to the left yet; everything is shifted about 2 inches over and an inch down on the screen. Guessing that is where the remote would help. I did program my Dish remote to turn it off and on and volume.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 am

ether your digital board needs the solder reflowed your you need a replacement digital board. I am the one that tracked this issue to the dnie chip some time ago.

If you want to read more about this issue go to http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/samsung/ . There is also a link to the guy that reflows the solder on the dnie chip.

as for your screen being off. I am guessing someone had the tv apart before. had the dmd board removed and didnt realine it. you can enter the service menu by hitting mute 1 8 2 power and ajust the screen from left to right and up and down, but you will need a samsung remote. check ebay the remotes are not to bad also check discount merchant and see what they are charging. with the number of these tv's dieing it's easy to find remotes.

chall24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chall24 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 pm

So far so good, I did get the factory remote and cleared the hours on the lamp but still the issue with the position of the picture. I went in to the settings for horizontal and vertical position but those only move the picture up/down or side to side within the picture itself, like it's panning within the frame. My screen has about a two inch black/dark strip on the left and an inch or so on top. It looks like the projection unit is just misaligned and is shooting the image at the screen a little skewed. Does the little adjustment ring around the projector lens adjust that?

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 pm

To be honest everything in the light engine has to do with the alignment of the picture projected on the screen. It might be the adjustment ring around the projector lens, or it could be a mirror inside, or something else. I suggest you either send it to a technician you trust so he can have a look at it, or by a new one.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”