Samsung DLP Picture Freezes

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
rafmen
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP Picture Freezes

Postby rafmen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:30 pm

I have read many topics on this forum and cannot seem to find the same exact problem I am experiencing. I would really appreciate some help and some direction as to what I can do to fix this issue.

My TV is a 56'' Samsung DLP Model No.: HLS5687WX/XAA, Serial No.: B19J3CEL900952T, Version: PF01. When I start up my TV it will most of the time just have a black screen with the audio still sounding through the speakers. After a while the picture will cut on and that is when I experience the next issue. The picture will then freeze as if I had pressed paused. When the picture freezes there is no discoloration of any kind, but while the picture is frozen the audio still continues to sound without any issues. If I leave my TV on for a while (anywhere between 5-30 minutes) it will unfreeze and show the regualr picture once more. After doing this maybe three or four times the TV seems to work fine after that.

I have been reading on this forum and it seems that MAYBE the problem could be a defective DMD Board. Before I go ahead and buy one I would like a little more information with reagrds to what you all would think seems to be the problem. I leave this question to those who are obviously more capable and experienced than I. Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung DLP Picture Freezes

Postby Angel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi rafmen.

Yes, it seems to be your DMD board, however to be on the safe side try to display the menu once the picture freezes, if it doesn't work then go ahead with the replacement, if it works ok but the picture on the back still frozen then the problem could be in the digital board.

Try this test first and let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

rafmen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rafmen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:11 pm

First and foremost thank you for your help and the quick response. This forum has been very easy to be apart of.

I have tried what you asked me. When I turned on the TV it was a black screen with sound and the menu would not pull up on the screen. The same thing happens when the picture freezes, the menu does not appear when I try and pull it up. It seems to be that DMD board. Just to clarify a little more. When these issues happen I could switch between inputs (component and HDMI) and I can hear each of the sounds for what ever is hooked into those inputs but no picture.

I would appreciate if you could direct me (maybe some links) on a few things:
1) More information on what the DMD board actually is and what it does
2) Where could I buy a DMD board (and exactly what needs to be purchased)
3) Instructions on how to remove the old one and install the new one

Thank you so very much, this will hopefully save me from buying a brand new TV for a few more years. Thanks again for your patience and your advice.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:21 pm

rafmen:

1) More information on what the DMD board actually is and what it does:

DMD stands for Digital Micromirrors Device. This is kind of the brain of the image projection on the screen. It has on its surface several hundred thousand microscopic mirrors, each of them correspond to a pixel on the screen. They work like a switch, they have the ON and the OFF state, in the ON state the light (produced by the lamp) is reflected to the screen, while in the OFF state the light is reflected to somewhere else so it looks like a dark pixel. These devices are exclusive of the DLP technology. The colors are produced by a color wheel, which takes the white light from the lamp and throws three different colors one by one in a cycle. So for example, if the TV displays a blue screen is because the DMD chip has all its micromirrors in the ON state when the color wheel is sending the blue light, and it's in OFF state when the other two colors are being sent.

For more information:

2) Where could I buy a DMD board (and exactly what needs to be purchased):

Well it seems like there is one DMD board for your model at samsungparts: , but the listing has no photo, so I would call them to verify it's the right part. You can also look for it with the part number at: . You just need to take the board out first (see next answer).

3) Instructions on how to remove the old one and install the new one:

Unfortunetely there is no guide to replace the DMD board, however there is a guide to replace the color wheel, you can follow this guide and once you have the light engine apart just replace the DMD board instead of the color wheel. The guide is here: .

I hope this helps, if you have any other question feel free to get back to me ;)
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

rafmen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rafmen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:44 am

I have not posted any results because I was waiting for some parts to come in, but long story short no success. I ordered a DMD board and replaced it on my TV, the TV worked great for about two days and then it began freezing once more (still with the audio going on in the background and the TV menu does not come up). I remembered when I ordered the part the gentleman told me there was a DLP chip that was not included so I fogured I try the DMD board first and then the DLP chip if need be. So I ended up ordering the DLP chip and replaced it on the new DMD board (was very careful and precise) and the TV worked great, but sure enough it began to freeze again (same problem as described above). Although I must admit there has been slight improvement, but I just am at my wits end and have no other ideas as to what could be causing this. There are times when I would like to just set it on fire, but unfortunately I can't. Please any guidance, ideas, or even better yet some solutions would be greatly apreciated. Thank you in advance for putting up with my whinning and whimpering and for your suggestions.
Thank you once more

rafmen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rafmen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:12 am

Thank you for your response, unfortunately it still freezes. The TV will power on now without the black screen described in my prior post, but the picture will freeze randomly and sometimes unfreeze. Most of the time though it stays frozen. The picture will freeze when watching digital cable, regualr cable, watching a dvd or blu-ray, and especially when playing any kind of video games. The picture will be frozen but the audio continues. I really do not have any idea as to what could cause this problem especially when I carefully replaced both the DMD board and DLP Chip. I wonder if the picture freezing up has anything to do with the TV somehow heating up (overheating kind of like a car). If that suggestion is really stupid andd far off, please just disregard it. Thank you again for all of your help. Please help me find a solution.

rafmen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rafmen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:48 pm

When you say "Digital Video Board" is that the PC Digital Board or is that the Board that all the connections (VGA, HDMI, Component, etc) hook ups go into? Where would I be able to order one and what is a decent price? Agagin thank you for all the info regarding my issues with my TV.
Thank You

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 pm

My 61" HLN617W had exactly the same problem. Took it to a Samsung authorized repair shop that replaced the digital board. The set worked for about 5 days before doing the exact same thing again. I was considering replacing the DMD board as well but sounds like that hasn't worked in your case. I've decided I'm not putting any more $$ in it. I'm switching over to a plasma. While I think DLP had some advantages a few years ago, LCDs and plasmas have gotten much better and the reliability of DLPs just doesn't cut it. It's ridiculous that it's crapped out after only 5 years when it was only used for movies and sports. It had relatively low hours and repair guy said it was really clean (no dust or fan problems).

The digital board is the board you referred to as "PC Digital Board". Since replacing that didn't fix my set, I don't know if it will help yours. Maybe replacing it and the DMD is the right answer. The board with all the connections is the analog board. Good luck.

czappa

Postby czappa » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:59 am

I am having the exact same problem!! With my 2.5 year old HL-S5087WX/XAA PF01 an after reading your post I have decided to drop it off at a local Samsung office in front of there lobby!!

Good Luck.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”