Need help with 56" Samsung DLP

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
JHeffner
Contributor
Contributor

Need help with 56" Samsung DLP

Postby JHeffner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:21 pm

I have had this unit for about five years. About a year ago the picture started to get dim and finally the set stopped coming on at all. At this point the "lamp" light would come on. I ordered a new lamp for it, installed it and it worked perfectly for about another year.

Recently it stopped working again. Again, the "lamp" light was illuminated. I got another bulb for it, installed it and it worked for about thirty seconds. Now when I try to turn it on the lamp will occasionally turn on which I can see through the back of the set but it will always turn off after about a minute. Now when it turns off the power button has the "timer", "Lamp" and "standby/temp" lights flashing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JHeffner
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need help with 56" Samsung DLP

Postby JHeffner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Update:

I just pressed the power button while the "lamp", "timer", and "standby/temp" lights were flashing and the set turned on like it should. After a minute or two I pressed the power button and heard the normal power down sounds but the lamp did not turn off. I pressed the power button again and nothing happened.

If I unplug the set and try to repeat this process the "lamp" light flashes for fifteen seconds or so and the turns off but then turns back on. It will turn off and on a few times until finally all three lights flash again.

JHeffner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JHeffner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:01 am

After playing around with it for a while I was able to get it to turn on and stay on. Every once in a while the image on the screen would scramble and the unit was unresponsive to input from both the remote or the buttons on the set. Even the power button wouldn't turn it off or have any effect. I unplugged it and it turned back on and seems to work perfectly...........for now.

I guess I'll play a movie and see if it acts up again. I'm afraid to turn it back off now.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi JHeffner.

I don't know if you have technical skills, but you need to check if is there any swollen capacitor on the digital board or power supply board, this could cause that the TV doesn't respond to any remote or front panel button.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

JHeffner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JHeffner » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't hear any atrange noises. When I turn it on and it doesn't work I do hear some relays or solenoids clicking just before it turns off.

What triggers the lamp? Basically when it doesn't work I get the "lamp" light flashing which I think is normal but when it senses that the lamp does illuminate it turns off or resets. The ballast might make sense.

Where would I get a ballast? How much should I expect to pay and are they incredibly complicated to install? Any soldering required or is it just s plug and play piece?

technoskeptic
Contributor
Contributor

Postby technoskeptic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Post moved to new thread:

Reason: Out of Topic.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:49 pm

I answered you here:
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”