samsung hlr5067 only shows hd channels!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
eyerish87
Contributor
Contributor

samsung hlr5067 only shows hd channels!

Postby eyerish87 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Last week my 50" Samsung HLR5067 went into the infamous "black out" mode where the bulb lights and no picture is seen for a minute and then the set powers down. By pluging and unpluging about 20 times I got the infamous green vertical lines! From here I went into the tech menu (mute 182) and and reset. Now the tv shows HD channels in perfect quality with sound. Regular stations however have snowy static and horizontal purple and white blocks throughout the screen. TV is 3-4 yrs old w/ a bulb that was replaced less than a year ago. Anbody have any idea what we are dealing with here? I would guess the analog board since HD works, but want some more opinions before I start blindly swapping parts.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: samsung hlr5067 only shows hd channels!

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:04 am

eyerish87,
A few questions to diagnose further:

Do the lines apear on on the menu screen? or are they under the menu screen?

Do you have the same problem with PIP?

Does your VGA input work ok?

What about component?

What about standard video in?

Let us know.

eyerish87
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eyerish87 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:41 am

ok, the samsung menu is fine on either kind of channel. The comcast channel guide is fine on a HD channel, but not a regular one. PIP is ok no matter what channnel is on. I have an upconverting Oppo DVD player on the HDMI port that also works fine. I tried switching the cable box inputs to the adjacent ports with no luck. I also have a Wii in AV input which suffers from the same picture distortion as a non HD channel.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:33 am

eyerish87,
I would have to say that the Digital Board is the issue. The digital boards DNIe chip handles all digital processing of the video before it hits the DMD board. The video inputs you are describing are all getting processed by the DNIe, the PIP is never getting digitally enhanced and neither is the VGA input.

Let us know how it goes.

eyerish87
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eyerish87 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:32 pm

OK, I'll try that. I am having trouble finding the right board online however, I don't see it on samsungparts for my model (again its a HLR506WX/XAA). Do you know a good site to find one?

frank1f95

Postby frank1f95 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 pm

From a previous post of mine on another topic...hope it helps.

TexSky00, something that worked for me, unintentionally, was that I unplugged my HL-R4667W to remove the lamp. I removed the lamp to look for the mirror for cleaning...once the lamp was removed, I realized I was way over my head, reinserted the lamp and put the panel back on. Replugged the cord into the 120v outlet and decided to just watch tv, bam! the picture was fine..it also removed some issues that I was having with non-HD channels. I think it was just having it unplugged for about an hour..I don't know, but it worked.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”