What's wrong with my piece of poo dlp

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
stinkopants
Contributor
Contributor

What's wrong with my piece of poo dlp

Postby stinkopants » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:25 am

I have a samsung HLP4663WXXAA 46" DLP TV. I purchased this used, and non-functioning, hoping it was just a burned out bulb. I bought a replacment bulb; still no go. I then thought that maybe it was a bad ballast since it makes some quick, quiet clicking noises when it attempts to start, which I read was a sign of a bad ballast. So I purchased a used, supposed to be functioning ballast off ebay; still no go. What happens is: I plug it in. It powers on, flashing the "lamp" light. The lamp does not ignite. it continues to flash the "lamp" , then powers down and back on. It does this a total of three times; at the end of the third time it flashes the "lamp" light, and the standby light, as well as the timer light, then eventually powers off completely.

What else could it be?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's wrong with my piece of poo dlp

Postby Angel » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Well, it sounds like a ballast problem, maybe you bought a defective one. Check the wattage of the ballast and lamp, do they match?

Try also resetting the lamp timer (just to be on the safe side).

Check physically your color wheel, I don't think this is the problem but it's always possible. Use this replacement guide: .

Hope this helps.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

stinkopants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stinkopants » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:28 am

Well, it sounds like a ballast problem, maybe you bought a defective one. Check the wattage of the ballast and lamp, do they match?

Try also resetting the lamp timer (just to be on the safe side).

Check physically your color wheel, I don't think this is the problem but it's always possible. Use this replacement guide: .

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

From what i've read I thought the lamp timer is reset through the TV menu. Is there a way to manually do it?

Also, there is discrepancy as to the look of the new ballast vs the old. Is this just a revision, or did the dude send me the wrong ballast?
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg (204.73 KiB) Viewed 11530 times
P5180001.JPG
P5180001.JPG (172.28 KiB) Viewed 11530 times
P5180002.JPG
P5180002.JPG (165.91 KiB) Viewed 11530 times

stinkopants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stinkopants » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:06 am

The instructions on that link talk about going through the menu to reset.....that's a no go 'cause mine won't even ignite the lamp.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Did you check the color wheel?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

stinkopants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stinkopants » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Not yet. What should I look for when inspecting it?

stinkopants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stinkopants » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:58 am

Thanks for all your help guys, I just got myself a panasonic plasma. I'm just gonna part my samsung out and forget about it.

stinkopants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stinkopants » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:10 am

Ok,
I couldn't get myself to throw away the TV just yet, so I've done a little more diagnostics and wanted to see if you guys can decipher it's meaning. I tested the DC voltage that was going to the ballast from the powersupply.

It stayed steady at around 155 dcV. Is this an acceptable voltage for this model? Also the rapid, quiet, clicking noises continued even though nothing was plugged into the ballast, so the noise must not be coming from the ballast.

cbr600f2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cbr600f2 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Did you try to test or swap out the thermostat? It's so cheap to do it's defintialy worth it to try. See my thread here:

Return to “Samsung Discussion”