HLR4667W No picture, but sound.......fixed for now

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

HLR4667W No picture, but sound.......fixed for now

Postby dekerivers » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:09 pm

I've got an HLR4667W. The picture would go blank after a while, but the sound would remain. I replaced the lamp, but the problem still existed. I took out the color wheel, and could tell that bearings were going since it didn't spin as freely as it should. I ordered and put in the new color wheel, but the picture was all wierd......like pyschadellic or something.....the picture shut off problem appeared fixed, as it stayed on for an hour until I turned it off. I went and read a few posts about checking settings in service menu. I think I hit the "user reset" or something. Anyway, the picture is back to beautiful again, but the picures goes, but the TV stays on and there is sound. It initially will go for about 30 minutes, but then when I turn it back on it only last a few minutes. When the picture goes away, the lamp stays on, and there are no weird noises or anything, and the fans seem to continue to work.

Any new tricks to try? Or are there specific settings to use when getting into service menu?
Last edited by dekerivers on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLR4667W No picture, but sound

Postby nsaia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 pm

I am having the same exact problem with my HLR4667W. Someone suggested that it could be the DMD board, but I have not had a chance to try replacing it yet.

I've been thinking about it a little, does anyone know if the DMD board could be overheating? Is there a fan that specifically cools the board that could be malfunctioning?

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLR4667W No picture, but sound

Postby dekerivers » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:28 pm

There is indeed a cooling fan attached to it, but mine is working just fine. Since I'm far from a computer guru or anything resembling one, does anyone know just what would cause a DMD board to fail? Would it be due to overheating, or is there something particular that would cause a board to lay down?

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLR4667W No picture, but sound.......fixed for now

Postby dekerivers » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Just an update to this........I have no idea if it's a fluke or not, but it's been working like a champ for a week now after this fix. As I was attempting to get ready to take out the DMD board, I just happened to for some reason decide to re-check all connections, and I noticed that the wiring harness that comes from the DMD to the ballast was loose........so I unhooked and re-seeded making sure it was flush. I have no idea what purpose this connection serves, but anyhow, I've been running it for about a week now, 5-6 hours a day, it hasn't blacked out yet......I've attached a picture of which harness it is.
Attachments
pic 1.JPG
pic 1.JPG (46.91 KiB) Viewed 27835 times

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:28 am

Thanks for the info.

I was coming here tonight to report that I had more info as well. I usually watch using the cable box connected to the HDMI port. Tonight, I used only the RF input and there has been no picture loss.

So, my questions are, 1) do you primarily use the HDMI port and 2) have you tried using other inputs?

I'll try your fix to see if it solves my problem as well.

Thanks again.

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:57 pm

I've actually never used the HDMI port...........usually S-Video. Since I've been trying to trouble shoot though, I've just used the AV1 and AV2 inputs. But this weekend I'll start trying all the inputs to see if it keeps working. I generally keep the TV up in a recessed area I built above the fireplace......but I'm wanting to let in run for a bit before I put it back, only to have to yank it down again.
Attachments
10-18-08_1242.jpg
10-18-08_1242.jpg (191.68 KiB) Viewed 27826 times
05-03-08_1647.jpg
05-03-08_1647.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 27826 times

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 pm

That's a nice setup.

We have a saying where I'm from, "If it ain't broke don't mess with it."

You've got it fixed and have given me an idea of something to look for. I wouldn't take it down unless it starts acting up again.

But, please check back here if you do try more troubleshooting.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Sorry, I misread your post. Since it's down you may want to see if the problem only occurs on certain inputs.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Another update.

That connection on my unit has some type of glue on it to hold it in place. So the likelyhood that connection is my problem is slim. But by adding the glue it looks like Samsung may have identified that the connection comes loose and added it on later units. I suppose that this may be good news for you.

FYI, the picture went blank while I was watching RF as well.

I may be at a loss. :x

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:24 pm

My saga continues. All this time that's it's been working great, I had the back off. Today I went ahead and put the back cover back on, and it blacked out at the usual 30 minute lapse. So I'm guessing it may be something to do with the ventilation and heat..........works fine with back off, but problems persist with it back on.............the toubleshooting continues.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Sorry to hear that. I'm tending to agree with you on the heat. I may try some sort of external fan to help draw some of the heat out and see if that helps. Hopefully it won't just blow more hot air in.

I'll let you know.

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I took the back off again, and it's been doing fine all day so far................crazy.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:36 am

I have no update on the external fan idea, but I've been thinking a little more. What do you think about the fan on the DMD board possibly not working as efficiently as it did when it was new? The fan on mine is also spinning, but if it is not as efficient as it should be then it may not be cooling the board as required. This could be an easy fix.

Thoughts?

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Re:HLR4667 No picture, but sound, fixed, not quite

Postby dekerivers » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Certainly possible. However.........all week the problem has persisted. With the back off, it seems to run much longer....and no more than 30 minutes with back on. So, I've been running an ocsillating fan it, and for the most part it's done OK.......but now is back to picture dropping even with a strong fan directly on it.......so it looks like I'm going to have to tackle this DMD board soon.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Finally got around to running with the back off. Slightly improved duration, but still goes black.

Looks like I'll have to try the DMD board as well.

I've seen the range from 250 to 600 on the net. Any idea where to get one without getting ripped off?

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 am

Hey man, check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=632

Looks like it might be the light engine instead.

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Good find. I'm wondering though.......from what I've read and understand, that whole light engine assembly consists of the lens and housing, color wheel, DMD board, and fan on DMD. Since I've already replaced my color wheel, and the fan works, the only thing left in that whole assembly would be the DMD and the lens. Since the lens is just the lens.........I think the DMD would be the way to go for me, since my color wheel is new. I found the DMD at Discount Merchant for $179.99.....still haven't pulled the trigger yet.......but It looks like I'll have to.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 pm

I had a stroke of luck. I figured that it was out of warranty, but I decided to call anyway just to see. I forgot that I purchased the extended warranty this time (I never buy those things).

Anyway, they're sending someone out to look at it. If you can wait, I'll let you know what they find.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 am

More thinking out loud. Is there a temperature sensor as part of the light engine?

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:20 pm

The temperature sensor I believe are the two wires that connect to that small board directly on top of the lamp housing. That's what I'll be fooling with this week.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Great. Please let me know how that works out. It seems like it's taking a very long tme for the serviceman to schedule. Meanwhile, the problem is getting worse even with the back off.

By the way, there appeard to be a lot of similar problems if you look at the board.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:02 pm

So, the tech comes out today to fix the TV. Replaces the lamp. Problem persists.

I showed him exactly what it was doing and he immediately stated "Light Engine".

Another week or so before the part comes in. I'll update after the next round.

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks. I'll stay tuned!

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:12 pm

just an fyi . these sets are known to have digital board issues. most of the time the solder needs reflowed in the digital board. most repair shops just switch out the board. check out this forum. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ ... blems.html your hlr4667w uses the smae board as the hlr6167w.

nsaia
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nsaia » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:50 am

An update.

The repairman came out again. Apparently, he had the wrong part. I got a call a day later from the warranty company explaining that they deemed the tv to be unrepairable and had to replace the entire unit. There was not another dlp option that would fit in the space (they offered a bigger unit but it wouldn't fit in my entertainment center), so they replaced it with an lcd.

I'm kind of bummed because I really liked that tv. However, to get a brand new tv 3.75 years later is kind of cool.

Anyway good luck to you. I wish I could contribute further.

dekerivers
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dekerivers » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:18 am

Well, ain't that a peach. That worked out pretty well then. Good job man. I'll keep pressing on and won't let this thing defeat me!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”