DLP HLR5067W Three lights of death, not a bad lamp

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Bob6228

DLP HLR5067W Three lights of death, not a bad lamp

Postby Bob6228 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Samsung Model HLR5067WX/XAA Purchased 8/2005 No Problems to date.

On Tuesday, Dec 1st we received our first 3 lights of death(flashing - timer, lamp, stand by/temp). After reviewing the owners manual, I learned this signaled a possible defective lamp. We did additional research on the net and it was suggested to reset (mute, 1, 8, 2, power) the lamp meter, which was at 12680h. Did that and the TV worked Until Dec 5th.
Saturday Dec 5th history - TV was turned on (10 am) for college football pregame and problem resurfaced (4 days from initial occurence) at 7:45 PM that evening, again at 9:11 PM and 9:42 PM. TV was on for almost ten hours before the first glitch arose on Saturday. At that time I noticed that although there was no picture, light was being emitted through the rear vents, and the light ventilation fan was pushing warm/hot air.
On Dec. 6 after additional web searching, including this forum which provides the best information and assistance, we opened the rear of the cabinet, removed the light housing and the light engine assembly, cleaned the fans and anything else that looked dirty and reassembled the unit. Switched the unit on, everything worked great for 9 minutes and again we lost the picture. After 3 subsequent failures I noticed that after we lose the picture, and we wait (about 5 seconds) for the 3 lights of death, once they start blinking I can restart the TV with the remote, listen for the click, the picture will return for a short amount of time. The click has always been there, I believe some refer to this click as the power supply switching on. After 4 or 5 start ups like this, the TV "appears" to be working correctly. I know, the TV is setting me up for catastrophic terminal failure.
We have a new Philips lamp on order, but I am not convinced this is the problem. After reading, in this forum, about every DLP with a model number close to ours, I believe the problem lies in either the analog or the DMD board or some other electronic device other than the lamp itself.

If you need additional info, please post your question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Bob

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: DLP HLR5067W Three lights of death, not a bad lamp

Postby Jason1976 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:48 am

we found the issue is when you can see the lamp lighting up but it wont turn on to be the digital board. but we never had it were all 3 lights on the front of the tv were coming on at the same time. we had it were the lamp light would just flash and flash and the tv never fully came on.

please check out this other forum for more help

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ ... blems.html

Return to “Samsung Discussion”