Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
kbertelli
Contributor
Contributor

HL-P6163W - No picture, have sound

Postby kbertelli » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Good Morning,
This is my first post here. I recently inherited a Samsung HL-P6163W from a friend. He said it stopped working. He said there was sound, but no picture. Actually, the screen isn't totally blank, it is sort of grayed out, not totally black. I took out the lamp and visually inspected it. It looks to be intact. I put it back in and put the cover back on. Turned it on and I can see a light coming from the back of the TV. When I turned it on, the front "Lamp" light flashed multiple times and then turned off. The screen had sort of a green tint for about 1 second and then went dark gray. I do not have a video source hooked up to it as I am just trying to troubleshoot at the moment. The fact that I can see light in back leads me to believe that the lamp and ballast are OK. Other posts that I have read have me leaning toward the DMD board (no idea what that is) or the color wheel. Can anyone help me with this. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars and not fix the actual problem. Thanks!

Kris

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: HL-P6163W - No picture, have sound

Postby Jason1976 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:58 pm

I am guessing it's ether the digital board or the dmd board.

kbertelli
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kbertelli » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm

What are the digital board and the DMD board? Where are they located? What do they actually do? Sorry, this is my first DLP. Is it true that if I can see light in back that the bulb and ballast are fine? Thanks!

jsiems

Postby jsiems » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:14 pm

I have a Samsung 50" DLP that is 5 years old and I have the exact same symptoms, my question like yours is how do you diagnose between the two boards and is it possible to fix it myself. They only difference in my symptoms is that it will turn on and run for 5 min or up to 30 min before it turns green and goes upside down, then goes out.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 pm

if you can open up a computer and replace a motherboard or a cd rom drive you should be able to remove the boards. I would start with the digital board. now if you dont see a light in the back of your tv then it could be the ballast or a lamp, but if you see the lamp is on then it's one of those other boards. now with the other guy getting the green screen then i would say it was the digital board for his issue.

you may want to check ebay for parts.

kbertelli
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kbertelli » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I have changed a motherboard on my PC. Where is the digital board (and possibly the DMD board) located in the television? Does anyone have any advice on changing the boards? Thanks!

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:04 pm

I am not sure with your model. the dmd board is on the light engine. the digital board can be in many places. when you get the replacement part you take te back of the tv off and you should see it. there isn't any soldering. just make sure all the wires go on the currect jacks.

kbertelli
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kbertelli » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Could you explain why you think that it is the digital board more so than the DMD board? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to understand how the DLP's work. I appreciate all of your help.

kbertelli
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE - HL-P6163W - No picture, have sound

Postby kbertelli » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

UPDATE-
I did some experimenting last night to try to narrow down what is wrong. Here is how it went down. I plugged in the TV and pushed the power button on the front to turn it on. The lamp light falshed for about 10 seconds and then went off and no other lights came on. I could see the bulb lit up in the back. The screen had no picture, just sort of a dim glow (still almost black screen). The guy who gave me the set used the Green, Blue, Red component video cable from his cable box. He said he had sound but no picture. So last night I used an HDMI cable to see what I could get. I also got sound and no picture. I tried the Menu and Source buttons on the side panel as well as the volume button. Although there was nothing on the screen, the source button was changing the source as I could hear it changing and then when I got to the source that was associated with the HDMI connection (Satellite box), I got sound again. The volume also went up and down when using the volume button on the side. Still nothing on the screen. Based on these symptoms, can anyone out there point me in the right direction as to what to replace? Is it the DMD board, the digital board, the analog board? I still can't figure it out.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”